Thursday, December 08, 2011

McLaren SLR 722GT - the body.

Is a conversion kit I post here last month. It had been some time since the last post about this conversion kit. After completing the 2 SLR, now I got more time to figure out how to deal with the major error that this kit given. Coming to my final thinking...I decided to cut the parts that I needed and throw away the rest. Those needed parts are glued on Tamiya original bodykit, putty was added and ready to sand tomorrow. But after studied on SLR722GT interior, I came across a picture of front view and I think I got some mistake on the front hood. Anyway I will fix it tomorrow.


As you can see, there are very little parts that are needed. So if you plan to get this expensive conversion kit, better think twice.
Here another shot of the kit:



I think is alot more easy to do this then putting the original Hobbydesign SLR722GT bodykit on it, sand and putty like hell. (saw the gap between the hood and front bumper? Yes, I make a mistake on it, will cut and putty and shape before gluing it back.)

and the wheel is not an easy task to work with. I'm not skill enough to cut the Tamiya SLR wheels, and allow enough space for Hobbydesign SLR wheel to fit on. (Figure 1A) and I do want to replace it with another SLR wheels, but compared with it, it has different spoke...so end up I cut the Tamiya face (figure 1B), leaving only the rim, and glued the SLR722GT wheel face on it. I find this way is more safe to work too and no worry the wheel is in different size and height.


Since is a GT1 car, it should have track tires and not road tires. The conversion kit doesn't provide any tires, it meant to using back Tamiya tires. I got some extra GT tires to spare, so it need to fit into them...and if I change the wheels, it will not fit as it is 19 inch. Tamiya GT tires all come in 18 inch... and lucky SLR rim still able to squeeze into GT tires... lolz.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.